Friday, August 2, 2013

Batter Up!

Looking for an action-packed day for your little one? I've got all the bases covered! Check out this brand new picture book from Charlesbridge:




















Take Me Out to the Ball Game by Jack Norworth
Illustrations by Amiko Hirao
Performed by Carly Simon

Batter up!

Get out the peanuts and Cracker Jacks, and get ready for fun with America's national sport! The unofficial anthem of baseball has never sounded or looked better than it does in this joyful edition, complete with a CD featuring the inimitable Carly Simon.

Colorful, collage-like illustrations are kids' tickets into "Sluggers Stadium," where two animal teams step up to the plate and vie for victory-all cheered on by Katie Casey, the baseball-loving cat. And what a game it is! Giraffe winds up at the pitcher's mound, hoping for a strikeout. But, with a thwack, ball meets bat and Crocodile is off and running. Can Tiger tag him out at first? He'd better, because Elephant's up next and that will cause a commotion!

Open the pages, put on the CD-which contains "I Gave My Love a Cherry" and "Scarborough Fair," along with "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"-and introduce young fans to baseball.

Here’s one version of the song that I found on YouTube:



(Carly Simon is such an amazing talent!)

By the way...

Did you know that Charlesbridge posts a new contest on their website every month? That's how I won a copy of Take Me Out to the Ball Game. How cool is that? We are thrilled!

Here's the link to their website. I know you will not want to miss out on future promotions:

http://www.charlesbridge.com/

(Scroll to the bottom of the page.)

Okay, so here's what I've got planned for my grandson's next visit:

I'll open circle time with our favorite good morning song and a chat about the weather, etc.  We have such a fun routine!  And then we'll read our brand new picture book, Take Me Out to the Ball Game:





















All of our baseball-related activities are on display throughout the playroom. I like to go over each one during circle time; it builds the excitement!

Did you notice the banner on our bench?















I cut three circles (small, medium and large) out of red, white and blue construction paper. I made two folds toward the center and stapled to secure. Pretty easy, eh?

After circle time, we'll add our new book to the music center:





















(Click here to read a post about that.)

Baseball caps would be a fun addition, but I didn't think of it until now. Hhmmm, I may have to pop by the store later.

And every team needs a pennant:













I designed this one on the computer. It's similar to the pennant in our new story. You are welcome to use this template. I glued the yellow trim around a small wooden dowel. There are pictures of it further down in this post. I'm going to let Ben make one too!

Next up...

I made this shirt for our afternoon game:
















You'll need a plain white t-shirt, red fabric and fusible Wonder-Under. Make a template of your child's name and age on the computer and add red stripes around the sleeves. There is no sewing involved!

And speaking of games...

I made this file folder game for center time:




















I used a blue file folder and piece of light blue construction paper for the background. The grass is two shades of green. I created the flashcards on my computer in Microsoft Office Word. That's where I found the zebra and elephant too. I printed them on cardstock and cut them out. I also made the fence out of cardstock and glued a sheet of dark blue construction paper behind it. I did the illustrations for the baseball mitt and scoreboard. I got tired of trying to find free images online. LOL! Simply tuck a library pocket behind the mitt to house the flashcards. I was trying to capture the vibrant colors in Hirao's artwork without copying his work.

I decided to make this a rhyme activity because my grandson already knows his letters, sounds, and numbers. Here’s the list of words we used:

Frog/Log
Stop/Mop
Box/Fox
Tree/Bee
Yarn/Barn
Rug/Bug
Cat/Bat

You can find the images for these words in Microsoft Office Clipart. There are plenty more rhyming words that I could have added, but these will be enough to get us started.

Click below to download my baseball mitt and scoreboard:


















(You are welcome to use these designs.)














Note:  This would be a great spot for an alphabet or number match, but I put zeros on our scoreboard instead.


Are you hungry yet? Check out this yummy lunch buffet:





















I borrowed the old fashioned hot dog stand from my daughter, and made a small tablecloth out of red and white checked fabric. Don't forget the coleslaw and onions!


And here's a little sewing project with yarn:


















I printed the baseball on cardstock and punched the holes in advance. Make sure you wrap one end of the yarn with tape!

Here's the baseball template that I created for this activity:




















(Feel free to use it.)

There are lots of baseball-related activities on the Scholastic website too. Here's the link:

http://printables.scholastic.com/printables/search/?query=baseball


I also ordered a t-ball set from Target, but it hasn't arrived yet. We're going to practice hitting the ball and running bases in the backyard. It's going to be an action-packed day, people. My grandson loves baseball!
















Here he is at a game with my daughter. Batter up!


2 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Your grandson is so cute. Sounds like you're all set feeding his baseball passion.

Kimberly Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Natalie. Yes, my grandson is a real cutie. We have a good time together. I'm working on a dinosaur unit for our next activity. See you on the Literary Rambles blog. You ladies do an awesome job! =)