Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mo Willems on Writing Picture Books and Early Readers

Companion Books Part V

(Here are links to Part I, II, III, and IV.)

Mo Willems is the highly successful author and illustrator of several picture book and early reader series. Check out a portion of his impressive list:

Pigeon Series:

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Caldecott Honor, 2004)
Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy


Knuffle Bunny Series:

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Caldecott Honor 2005)
Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity (Caldecott Honor 2008)
Knuffle Bunny Free: an Unexpected Diversion


Elephant and Piggie Series:

Today I Will Fly!
My Friend is Sad
There is Bird on Your Head!
I Am Invited to a Party!
I Will Surprise my Friend!
I Love My New Toy!
Are You Ready to Play Outside?
Watch Me Throw the Ball!
Pigs Make Me Sneeze!
Elephants Cannot Dance!
I Am Going!
Can I Play Too?
We Are In a Book!
I Broke My Trunk!
Should I Share My Ice Cream?


Cat the Cat Series:

Cat the Cat, Who Is That?
Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly
What's Your Sound, Hound the Hound?
Time to Sleep, Sheep the Sheep!

(I haven't read this one yet, but here's a fun video: Meet Mo Willems and Cat the Cat.)


Note: The Elephant & Piggie series is my grandson's favorite, though I wonder if it's because we play "This Little Piggie" on his toes. LOL! Here's a snapshot from my library:



I also have these titles in my collection:





So why is Mo Willems such a successful children's book author and illustrator? Here are a few pointers from the man himself. Click here.

No comments: