Saturday, February 26, 2011

Contest for Madeline Fans!

How would you like to win a signed copy of Madeline at the White House?

I went to Fairhope, Alabama last week and attended a book signing for the multi-talented author and illustrator John Bemelmans Marciano. (You can learn more about him here.) And yes, I picked up an extra copy that he signed for one lucky winner—and it could be you!

First things first, though...

The Page & Palette is my favorite independent bookstore, and I want to commend them for doing such an outstanding job hosting this author event. I also want to add that John Bemelmans Marciano was an absolute pleasure to meet. He was very accommodating to all of his adoring fans, young and old. I do hope you will have the opportunity to meet him in the near future. I know he is on tour right now, so check your local listings.

Here are a few snapshots from last Saturday:

Totally cool sign in the store window!


And here's the new Madeline book:



Madeline and friends are off to enjoy a wonderful American adventure. The White House in Washington, D.C., is their destination, where they are the guests of the president's lonely only daughter for the annual Easter Egg Roll.

This book is based on an idea that Ludwig Bemelmans was working on when he died in 1962. I like how John Bemelmans Marciano included a secret service agent for Miss Penelope Randall. LOL! Details are so important. (View the book trailer here.)

And on a funny note...

The political climate has been less than optimistic lately, so it’s about time there was something positive about the White House. Now if we can just get the Democrats and Republicans to lighten up. Maybe they could roll Easter eggs with spoons versus casting votes? I'd buy a ticket!

I also purchased these fun titles:

Madeline Loves Animals
Written and Illustrated by John Bemelmans Marciano

Come along with Madeline as she feeds breadcrumbs to the birds, shares a pot of tea with the elephant, and shows the tiger that she is not afraid.


Note: I’m thoroughly impressed that a Madeline story could be made into this type of format. It's bright and entertaining for little boys and girls. Cheers! I was originally going to buy this for my grandson, but ended up getting it signed for me. I feel so guilty—NOT. Hahahaha!


Madeline and the Cats of Rome
Written and Illustrated by John Bemelmans Marciano

The Paris skies are gray and gloomy, so Miss Clavel and the twelve little girls set out to find the sun. The time has come for spring in Rome! There are glorious sights to see and delicious pasta to eat, and of course the intrepid Madeline finds herself in the midst of an adventure, one involving a thief, a chase, and many, many cats.


I know two secrets about this book, but you'll have to catch the author on tour to learn what they are. LOL! This is my favorite picture book out of the entire series. I enjoyed seeing the sites of Rome, and who doesn't crave a little mystery and adventure?


Here's a photo of John Bemelmans Marciano reading from one of his Madeline books. Wish I had jotted down some of the children's observations. They were an incredibly smart bunch! It was also quite fascinating listening to the history of each story, and learning why certain details were included in the illustrations. Good times!

And check out the goodies everyone enjoyed after the reading:

(I thought this was a delicious surprise for patrons.)


I was third or fourth in line to get my books signed, and here's the lovely lady behind me. She brought an original painting by Ludwig Bemelmans to share with his grandson, John Bemelmans Marciano. I appreciate her allowing these photos:

Small world, eh?


Here's a close-up!



(And she had this rare edition book to boot.)


As you can see, it was a very exciting day for everyone in attendance, but most of all me. I collect picture books, and these treasures have their very own shelf in my office.

And now let's move on to the contest:

It's simple to enter. Type your legal name in the comments section of this post, and tell me what your favorite Madeline book is—and why. Spread the news about this contest via blogs, online forums, Twitter, or Facebook. Also, please number yourselves consecutively, so I don't go blind counting the entries. LOL!

Note: You may enter once.

This contest opens now and closes at midnight on Friday, March 4, 2011 (Central Time Zone). Random Number Generator will select the lucky winner of Madeline at the White House on Saturday, March 5, 2011.

Have a great weekend and good luck!

13 comments:

Jean Reidy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Reidy said...

#1
Jean Reidy
Madeline (the original)
because I still have my original copy from 46 years ago and it was the first book I completely memorized as a child.
Now I'm off to tweet about this contest. Thanks Kimberly Lynn

melanie hope greenberg said...

Melanie Hope Greenberg

"Madeline" (original). It started the whole train on the tracks. I will Tweet about your contest. Thanks.

melanie hope greenberg said...

John was my curator for the Drawn In Brooklyn exhibition. I interviewed him about the show.

http://mermaidsonparade.blogspot.com/2010/10/drawn-in-brooklyn-curator-interview.html

Sarah C. Pilon said...

#3 I’ve always liked the original Madeline. As a child my favourite part was the end, where all the little girls want their appendix out because off all the gifts Madeline got. Being older now I like the illustrative style, specifically the colour scheme and historic landmarks in the background.
Shared on Facebook :)
-Sarah C. Pilon

Anonymous said...

I love the original Madeline because of the Paris setting- one of my favorite cities! I am looking forward to reading the new ones, especially the Rome one (my other favorite city!) Thanks Kimberly!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

#4

Crystal

Kimberly Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by, everyone. It’s interesting that all of you picked the original as a favorite, and mine is Madeline and the Cats of Rome. I’m actually surprised at my choice. You’d think a picture book collector like me would prefer the original too.

Jean, but you look like you’re twenty-something! What a treasure to have that original book from childhood. Wow! The Navy lost most of my stuff.

Melanie, I enjoyed reading that interview—and your blog is awesome. It must have been a blast doing that exhibit! I’m working on a middle grade novel with a Brooklyn setting. I’ve always wanted to visit that area.

Sarah, that’s funny! I loved Madeline’s observations when she woke up after surgery—especially the crack on the ceiling “sometimes looking like a rabbit.” Totally the way a child would think. LOL!

Crystal, I would love to see Rome, but the closest I’ll ever get is House Hunters International on HGTV. Hahahaha!

Laura Murray said...

You know... I think this one might be my favorite Madeline because I have a fondness for the vicinity and because the copy you are giving away is signed! Loved looking at your pictures of the event! Thanks for sharing!

jama said...

#6 (?)

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. There's just something about the original Madeline. A long-held childhood love of a particular book endures no matter what. I loved Madeline's bravery and it was my first introduction to Paris!

Shared this post on FB :).

Thanks, Kimberly!

Kimberly Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jama. I enjoyed checking out your LiveJournal link too. It's so much fun connecting with others who enjoy picture books as much as I do. Good luck in the contest!

Rebecca Colby said...

#7

My daughter and I love 'Madeline and the Cats of Rome'--it's probably my favorite because I love Italy, and her favorite because she loves cats. But all the Madeline books we've read are super!

Thanks for the contest!
Rebecca Colby

Kimberly Lynn said...

The Contest for Madeline Fans is now closed. Thank you to everyone who entered and shared their thoughts on this fun series. I'll be announcing the winner later this morning. Cheers!