Friday, July 30, 2010

Tomorrow’s Classics

Avid children’s book collectors will have these classics in their personal library:

  • Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
  • Corduroy by Don Freeman
  • Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
  • Mike Mulligan Steam Shovel by Virgina Lee Burton
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
  • Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

And the list goes on and on…

Now fast forward to this decade. Which books do you think should be added in the future? There are so many to choose from, but here are two of my current favorites:





And if you like those titles, you’ll also want Me with You by Kristy Dempsey. The text is equally thought provoking and the illustrations by Christopher Denise are gorgeous. I picked it up yesterday for my husband. He has a special relationship with our grandbaby, so I know the two of them will enjoy reading it together for years to come:


Me With You by Kristy Dempsey
Illustrations by Christopher Denise

We’re a pair beyond compare,
a rare and special two,
in all the ways that I am me
and you’re completely you.


(Read an interview with Kristy here.)




Happy Reading!

2 comments:

Tara McClendon said...

I love those books. My son really likes the Magic Treehouse series, which is a little older but still fun.

Kimberly Lynn said...

Love the Magic Treehouse series! I saw a big display of them at Books-A-Million the other day. Lately, I've been doing most of my book shopping online, though. Need to pick a few more titles...

Hahaha!