Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival

This event will be held April 7, 8, and 9 at the Thad Cochran Center on the Southern Mississippi campus. Starts tomorrow!

Their featured guest is the current Southern Mississippi Medallion winner, David Wiesner. He is the author and illustrator of many picture books that I adore. Here are two in particular:


The Three Pigs by David Wiesner
(2002 Caldecott Medal Book)



Flotsam by David Wiesner
(2007 Caldecott Medal Book)

Additional speakers include:

Lulu Delacre , Sharon Draper, Charles Ghigna, Maureen Johnson, Walter Mayes, Frank McGarvey, Richard Peck, and Dan Yaccarino.

I met Richard Peck at the SCBWI Florida Regional Conference this past January. He is a spectacular speaker and one of the most gracious authors I’ve ever met. Really! I also got a signed copy of A Season of Gifts.

I can’t make this exciting event, but I’m looking forward to meeting author Charles Ghigna at the Alabama Book Festival in Montgomery. Charles Ghigna aka 'Father Goose' is the author of more than 5,000 poems and 40 award-winning books. He is also a speaker and nationally syndicated feature writer. Here are a few of his fantastic titles. I can’t wait to get my copies signed:

Award-winning Tickle Day: Poems from Father Goose

Written by Charles Ghigna
Illustrations by Cyd Moore



Halloween Night by Charles Ghigna
Illustrations by Adam McCauley


Check out the YouTube trailer:



(View more fun titles here.)


For information about the Fay B. Kaigler Children's Book Festival , click here.

No comments: