Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hot Off the Press!

I took a break from writing last week and picked up three new picture books. These are my favorites so far this year. Here's the first one:

Harry and Horsie by Katie Van Camp
Pictures by Lincoln Agnew

I predict huge sales for this adventurous story. I mean, what kid doesn’t want to race cars on Saturn’s rings? The retro-comic illustrations leave me speechless. WOW!

(Click here to view an interview with Katie Van Camp.)

Next up:

Once Upon a Twice by Denise Doyen
Illustrated by Barry Moser

Remember the movie Rikki-Tikki-Tavi? I was glued to the screen. Once Upon a Twice has that same exciting sense of danger and darkness—love it!


And now my favorite:

The Scarecrow’s Dance by Jane Yolen
Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline

This is the most beautiful picture book I’ve ever read. Seriously, it took my breath away!

A wild wind brings a scarecrow to life. He leaves his post and dances across the countryside until he hears a small boy reciting a prayer . . .

Bagram Ibatoulline’s illustrations are truly alive and the perfect balance for Jane Yolen’s masterful prose. This is a picture book that children will want to hear night after night.


Check these out when you get a chance!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Jane Yolen is one of my favorite authors. Thanks for the heads up! I loved Riki Tiki Tavi too! Thanks for the recommendations!

Kimberly Lynn said...

Let me know your thoughts on them, Kelly. There are a lot of great picture books out this year!