Friday, October 2, 2009

Haunted Libraries

Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
by Michael Garland

A dreary fall morning takes a wacky turn when Zack’s favorite teacher walks the class to the library. Mrs. Creeper, the librarian, reads from the Incredible Storybook and out leaps the Headless Horseman and a whole cast of spooky characters—love it!

Michael Garland’s luminous illustrations make readers feel like they are a part of each scene. There are lots of quirky perspectives and that’s what made this picture book so much fun. I gasped when the Hound of Baskerville pounced from the book and I bet kids will, too:


(I'd buy this one again and again!)


And while we’re on the subject of haunted libraries…

Do you suppose they are real?

Willard Library
21 First Avenue
Evansville, Indiana 47710

I had the pleasure of visiting Evansville, Indiana several years ago. Victorian Gothic architecture dominates the downtown area. I wasn’t surprised to learn about the Grey Lady ghost who reportedly haunts the Willard Library on First Avenue. Check out the 24-hour a day Ghost Cam and see if you can spot her. I love a good scare and October is the best time of year for it.

Have a spooktacular weekend!

2 comments:

Rena said...

My boys would love this book! They love Halloween books. I'll have to look for this one. Thanks, Kim!

Kimberly Lynn said...

It's amazing!