Saturday, July 11, 2009

I’m curious . . .

How much freedom do you give your child at the bookstore or library? Do you allow them to select their own books, so long as they are age appropriate, etc.?

I was shopping at Barnes & Noble the other day and witnessed an interesting situation. A mother was selecting picture books based on a list of titles she had prepared in advance. Meanwhile, her daughter spotted Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schachner. There were hundreds of goodies to choose from in the children’s department, but all this little girl wanted was that specific book. The mother promptly replied, “We didn’t come here for that one.”

Now, I do not know the circumstance of that mother’s decision, but shouldn't a child be able to choose at least one of their own books?

2 comments:

Rena said...

I let my kids pick their own books, providing the price is reasonable.

Kimberly Lynn said...

Cheers!